Anchorage, AK 99508
Job Title: Medical Assistant
Reports To: Nursing Manager | Classification: Non-Exempt | Status: Full-Time |
Position Summary: The Medical Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of clinical and administrative duties related to podiatric medicine and or the treatment of vascular disease. These duties may include preparing charts for consultation with the vascular surgeon or podiatrist, collecting and inputting medical data into the EMR (electronic medical record) and assisting physicians with wound care and minor procedures. Additionally, the MA may assist the RN in prepping patients prior to and recovering patients after sedation. The MA will also assist sonographers with ultrasound operations. The MA will handle clerical, environmental, and organizational tasks. The MA will need exceptional interpersonal skills to communicate patient needs clearly with physician and office staff as well as the surgeons intended treatment plan to patients.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/imaging reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
- Satisfies patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room; assisting patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls, and providing pertinent information.
- Accomplishes environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocols; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
- Medical assisting responsibilities that vary according to state law, which may include medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving; checking vital signs or mental status; physical examination preparations; knowledge of basic minor surgery assists including surgical tray set-up pre/post-procedure care, applying dressings, and suture removal; biohazard waste disposal and monitoring; instructing patients with assistive devices, body mechanics, and home care; laboratory procedures including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines; capillary punctures; specimen collection and handling. Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED), medical assistant diploma from an accredited vocational institution, or a community college course in medical assisting. Appropriate certificate indicating passing grade for specific specialty if working in specialty department; e.g., pediatric medical assistant exam.
Experience: Minimum one year of recent experience working in a medical facility as a medical assistant and/or documented evidence of externship completed in a medical office. Knowledge of normal and abnormal vital signs, and blood glucose monitoring. Post sedation care is highly desired.
Other Requirements: Current documentation of a national certification for the registered medical assistant (RMA) through the American Medical Technologists (AMT) or for the certified assistant through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA). Must possess a current CPR certification.
To learn more about Alyeska Vascular Surgery please visit: www.avs-ak.com
Go to all jobs